[erlang-questions] Problem with pattern matching in large binaries

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Tue May 6 16:10:47 CEST 2008

Thanks for the info. I rebuilt my Erlang VM after making Per's change,
and the behavior is now as follows:

1> {ok,B} = file:read_file("large_test_data.txt").
{ok,<<"...">>}
2> byte_size(B).
1037563663
3> Offset = byte_size(B) - 100.
1037563563
4> <<_Skip:Offset/binary,Last100/binary>> = B.
<<"...">>
5> byte_size(Last100).
100
6> byte_size(_Skip).
1037563563 %% This is now correct. Before the 1-line change I made to
erl_bits.h, this was incorrect

Everything I was trying to do now works correctly. All that is left is
to regression test my applications, just in case. Maybe you could make
this available as a patch - it's a trivial change.

Thanks again.

Regards
Edwin Fine
Fine Computer Consultants, Inc.