[erlang-questions] gen_tcp nonblocking send

Igor Ribeiro Sucupira igorrs@REDACTED
Thu May 1 21:07:39 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Valentin Micic <valentin@REDACTED> wrote:
> As you've said -- it is a workaround. Consider that under some circumstances
>  such workaround may cause problems -- think of it this way: You're not
>  really solving the problem, just shifting it elsewhere.
>

>  Under normal circumstances (as you've outlined), if sender and receiver are
>  not in some kind of "synchronous" engagement, in other words, if your next
>  send does not depend on receiving something from a remote peer; and you have
>  a "sluggish" remote receiver, your process would block once local buffer is
>  full. If you change this by introducing intermediate server, as suggested --
>  call it a REALY; you are not changing the fact that this RELAY will block
>  when local sending buffer gets full. However, as the sending process is now
>  sending "normal" Erlang messages, it will have no way of figuring out that
>  RELAY's buffer is full, thus, it will keep sending, eventually clogging
>  RELAY's process message queue.

This is not the kind of solution we were suggesting to Daniel.
He's got a continuous flux of update messages, of which he wants to
send only the most recent to the server. We don't want him to
introduce a relay that will just forward all messages it receives. The
idea is to have a relay that will take care of sending only the most
recent message once the last send returns.
(In fact, I implemented that yesterday, to make sure it was easy  :p)

An example:
- Update {k1, 17} sent to relay process.
- Relay process starts sending (using another process) {k1, 17}.
- Update {k1, 18} sent to relay process.
- Update {k1, 19} sent to relay process ({k1, 18} is discarded).
- Update {k1, 20} sent to relay process ({k1, 19} is discarded).
- Sending of {k1, 17} finishes.
- Sending of {k1, 20} starts.

That won't cause any problems to any process message queue.

Igor.