[erlang-questions] R11B-5 vs R12B-1: Win32 CPU Usage?

Jan Jacobs hpjcon@REDACTED
Wed Mar 26 22:42:26 CET 2008

Yesterday I decided to change from R11B-1 to R12B-1 and had the following
issues:

1) erl_interface libraries requires Visual Studio 2005 (Not documented at
all)

2) R12B-1 consumes more CPU time than R11B-1.

Issue 1)

This is not documented at all.  It should be part of potential
incompatibilities!

I can live with it, but it would have been nice to know it before I decided
to upgrade!

Issue 2)

Application compiled with R11B-5 and using R11B-5 runtime I get CPU usage
when testing of 16%.

Application recompile with R12B-1 and using R12B-1 runtime I get CPU usage
when testing of 35%.

The OS and Hardware is the same for both instances, just the runtime the
changes!

I have swapped the runtimes a couple of times to make sure it is not a
fluke, the results remain the same R12B-1 is heavier than R11B-5!

OS: Windows XP Professional

HW: Pentium 4 3Ghz and 2G  Ram

Comparative CPU usage for same application on same HW and OS:

R12B-1: 35% CPU

R11B-5: 16% CPU

Have any one noticed something like this?

Cheers

Jan