[erlang-questions] Erlang 10 years of Open Source; it is time for the next step

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Tue Mar 18 17:33:37 CET 2008

On Mar 18, 2008, at 1:21 AM, Massimo Cesaro wrote:

> If I remember well, I know of a user contributed patch solving a
> real problem; this was acknowledge by the Erlang team, but was
> rewritten because it contained bugs/constraints/whatever that would
> impact on existing code.
> They'll find problems because is their job to run regression testing
> among the other tests.

This seems like an argument for opening up the test suite to other
people.

On CPAN, for example, there's a system for automated distributed
testing of new modules.   Many volunteers around the world, with many
diverse systems, automatically download, install, and test new
uploads.  This has the potential for much more complete and diverse
testing than even a single large company can manage (and at very low
cost).

-kevin