[erlang-questions] Erlang 10 years of Open Source; it is time for the next step

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Tue Mar 18 13:49:14 CET 2008

> I'm sorry, I didn't want to start a flame war. It's just that I strongly
> believe that the Erlang community backed by the Ericsson people is really an
> example of excellence in the world of open source.

Are you aware of that many production installations today of OTP are
locally patched versions?

So companies are having the problem of managing their patches and
porting them to new otp releases right now.

As a compromise, could otp start to publish each accepted change-set
between releases? More contained change-sets should make it easier to
fast forward patches and identify what changes in otp clash with your
local patches.

Or an even better compromise: publish them to an open git^W DSCM
repository directly instead of having the community do so.