[erlang-questions] Erlang 10 years of Open Source; it is time for the next step

Matthew Dempsky matthew@REDACTED
Tue Mar 18 10:26:22 CET 2008

On 3/18/08, Massimo Cesaro <massimo.cesaro@REDACTED> wrote:
> My point is: we (Erlang professional users) should avoid the generation of
> different Erlang flavors, based on experiments or otherwise.

Why?  Python has a handful of flavors based on different experiments
(Jython, Stackless, PyPy), and the community has not collapsed.  If
someone really were to implement Jerlang, there's no reason you'd be
forced to use it.

Looking at the HiPE website, they mention it was merged into OTP in
2001, but their publications page lists documents from as far back as
1996.  I read into this that HiPE was just such an experimental flavor
for the first 5 years of its life.