[erlang-questions] Rest wrong, Append instead of PUT?

bryan rasmussen rasmussen.bryan@REDACTED
Tue Mar 18 08:52:24 CET 2008

Well the problem is probably more PUT, PUT has three possible uses,
CREATE, APPEND, UPDATE:

1. PUT a resource for the first time on the server. Thus matching
CREATE in a CRUD operation.
2. PUT using Content-Range: to append to the end of a resource.
3. PUT new version of resource on the  server. Thus matching UPDATE in
a CRUD operation.

However these usages are not specified as such - IIRC they are
implicit not explicit - thus a particular REST system could specify
further:

1. PUT a resource for the first time on the server, disallow other uses of PUT
2. POST an update on any resource, disallow uses of PUT to append or UPDATE.

personally I don't think there is a problem (theoretically) with
specifying PUT with Content-Range to append, and specifying that if a
resource exists you can only put to it with a Content-Range, and the
method to calculate what ranges are allowed. However it is sort of low
level to have to be doing that kind of thing.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen