[erlang-questions] Distributed Erlang ... alternate port?

Matthew Dempsky matthew@REDACTED
Mon Mar 17 01:22:41 CET 2008

On 3/16/08, Mike Berrow <mberrow1@REDACTED> wrote:
> Is there a way to run distributed erlang through an alternate port ?
> [...]
>  I know erlang needs both TCP and UDP on port 4369 normally.
>  Is there any way to configure it to use other ports?

Yes, but there are two different TCP ports you should be aware of.

First is epmd, which is what listens on 4369.  This number is hard
coded into the Erlang binaries.  It looks like you can change the
definition of EPMD_PORT_NO in erts/epmd/epmd.mk, but I've never played
with this.

Second is erlang's distribution code, which uses the kernel
application's inet_dist_listen_min and inet_dist_listen_max to decide
what TCP port to listen on.  After creating a listening socket, it
registers this port with epmd.