[erlang-questions] erlang sucks

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Fri Mar 14 11:15:20 CET 2008

--- "Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB)" <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Raoul Duke skrev:
>
> > this has nothing to do with the reality of Erlang
> :-) but presumably
> > in a sufficiently powerful type system you could
> constrain the guards
> > to be safe?
>
> Given the state of type checking in Erlang nowadays,
> this might indeed
> be ripe for some research and prototyping.

Marking functions as safe/pure is straightforward when
you have the whole program -- just mark the uncertain
cases as impure -- so you could easily verify that a
certain software release only uses safe guards.

As far as I can see, the main problem would be
piecemeal use of code, such as in ad hoc hot code
module at load time by (a) enclosing suitable
annotations with the beam file and (b) a quick bit of
load-time analysis.

Best,
Thomas