[erlang-questions] erlang sucks

Alpár Jüttner alpar@REDACTED
Thu Mar 13 17:13:56 CET 2008

> If we should talk about expressiveness, I think that haskell mostly wins
> among functional languages. But haskell syntax (just to keep this example)
> is far more intuitive and clear (and orthogonal) than Erlang's.

I didn't try to compare Erlang to any other functional language. You
said that it is seems hard-to-learn for students and concluded that it
must be because of its bad syntax. What I answered is that basically
nothing is wrong with the syntax of Erlang (it is simple, intuitive and
easy-to-learn). It might be better, but the real difficulty of its
learning for a student that it is functional.

> Those features are not erlang-centric: also Ocaml and haskell would
> require a little of an effort for a C programmer.

I didn't want to say the opposite.

> In a couple of words, we don't have just to choose among Erlang OR
> imperative programming (C/Java/Python & Co.): we've a lot of choices
> in the field of funtional languages, and a couple of them have some
> nicer syntax and features compared to Erlang.

What is your experience, do your students tend to really prefer Haskell
to Erlang?

Best regards,
Alpar