[erlang-questions] Unicode EEP (was: EEP9 new version)

Fredrik Svahn fredrik.svahn@REDACTED
Wed Mar 12 20:35:42 CET 2008

Great!

The instructions for what an EEP should ideally contain are here:
http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0001.html. An EEP template can be found
here: http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0002.txt. As you say a rough
draft is the next step.

If I were you I would start by building upon the already existing
string (and/or binary_string module from EEP-9, maybe it is easier to
add it to binaries than to lists?) module and just briefly describe
what needs to be added to the existing interface in terms of new
functions or parameters, just to keep it short initially. Personally I
would also like to see which other parts of the system might be
affected, how about the io module for instance? Should the regexp
module handle unicode as well? What about the shell?

If there is anything that cannot be added without breaking backwards
compatibility it needs to be very carefully handled. I am guessing
that the unicode support would be added mostly as an optional Encoding
parameter to a number of existing functions so it should be fairly
safe?

Maybe also provide an example or suggestion on how to implement it for
a number of functions (I don't think you should spend too much time
here, in my view the interface is much more important for now, just as
long as you think that the functions can be implemented with
reasonable characteristics).

BR /Fredrik