[erlang-questions] Unicode string library for Erlang

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Mar 11 17:22:19 CET 2008

Hasan Veldstra skrev:
> I've released the alpha version of the Unicode string library for
> Erlang (based on ICU) that I mentioned on this list a while ago.
>
> Right now, most basic operations are supported, like comparison (with
> or no regard for case), concatenation, getting substrings, searching
> for substrings, and case conversions.
>
> Strings are represented by binaries containing normalized sequences
> of UTF-16 code units. There are functions to convert between ustrings
> and UTF-8 lists and binaries.
>
> This is alpha code -- there are bugs and limitations. I need your
> patches, comments and suggestions. :)

Cool!

You may want to think about using a named port instead of always
going through a server. Then, any process could call the driver
directly using port_call(Port, Op, Data).

This is of course an optimization, and figuring out how to do
that at this stage may not be worth your time.

BR,
Ulf W