[erlang-questions] Erlang Syntax - again

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Tue Mar 11 00:28:48 CET 2008

On 10/03/2008, Robert Virding <rvirding@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have read Damien's post and Yariv's reply. My question is: they say what
> they don't want, but what do they actually want? I mean this question
> seriously. Perhaps someone who is new to the language could answer and tell
> what they found most difficult when learning the syntax. I have spoken
> Erlang so long that I see it as natural, warts and all.

I was new to the language ten years ago. I didn't understand how I
could write serious programs with single assignment. 30 minutes later
that problem was solved. I've never really looked back since then. All
the complaints about erlang seem whimsical at best and attention
seeking at worst.

I've written a fair amount of erlang code over the years, and I
honestly can't think of any time when I felt that the erlang was
impeding my progress. And it is getting better by the day. The bit
syntax, xref, dialyzer, typer, SMP erlang...

I remember being quite delighted when records came along in erlang.
Suddenly it became much easier to maintain state in servers. All these
complaints remind me of this article:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

cheers
Chandru