[erlang-questions] erlang sucks

Mazen Harake mazen@REDACTED
Mon Mar 10 20:04:48 CET 2008

Robert Raschke wrote:
> Convey Christian J NPRI writes:
>
>> Just speaking from my own impression as a newcommer, I really agree
>> with the original author about the separator-vs.-terminator issue.
>> The separators are a hassle for me.
>>

> Not sure if this is visible enough in the documentation, but
> "comma" reads as "and",
> "semicolon" reads as "or",
> and the full stop should be self explanatory.
> Pretty straightforward.
>
> (Yes, this comes from the Prolog heritage.)
>
> I think people get hung up about this, because it is easy to have an
> opinion on.  Kinda like indentation, or _ vs CamelCaps.
>
> Robby
>
> PS I actually think the syntax differences are great, cause it means I
>    don't get suckered into writing Java code in Erlang!

I was sitting and thinking about writing and defending the syntax a
little bit since I don't agree with many of the complaints, however,
when I read these two last lines I think it says it all. Very well put,
bravo!

Mazen Harake <mazen@REDACTED>
Erlang Software Developer and Consultant,
Erlang Training & Consulting, Ltd

Mobile Phone: +44 (0)795 13 26 317
Office Phone: +44 (0)207 45 61 020
Office Address:
401 London Fruit & Wool Exchange
Brushfield St, London, E1 6EL
United Kingdom

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of "Erlang Training & Consulting, Ltd".

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.