[erlang-questions] Use of makefiles

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Wed Mar 5 08:58:29 CET 2008

Greetings,

It was not the intention of James Hague that everyone should rewrite
make in perl (if it was I would appreciate if he corrected me). Firstly
that is already done (Cons). Secondly when he wrote "I can bang out a
Perl program that does the same thing", he meant a perl program
replacing not make, but the makefile.

The question I asked was if a perl program would be more likely to run
on ''any'' machine, than a makefile. Not because the person who wrote
the makefile forgot/failed to read the manual for gnu make, but because
there are other make programs than gnu make out there. The 4 ones I have
used where not compatible. They would not run each others makefiles.

I have heard that there is only one perl, so it should be compatible.
So, is the chance of finding perl on ''any'' computer bigger than the
chance of finding the right make program for your makefile?

bengt