[erlang-questions] [eeps] EEP 9

Vat Raghavan machinshin2002@REDACTED
Tue Mar 4 21:25:59 CET 2008

I really like this eep, and i can't wait for it (or something quite similar :) ) to be part of otp. At least in part,
it will mollify those who complain about erlang's string manipulation support

though, i think a better name of the module would be binary_string or something along those lines.

according to the eep, the reference implementation was given to the otp team along w/ the eep, it seems to me
that according to the 'many eyes' theory such an implementation should also be available to all, either at the eep site (preferred) or at the author's website or what have you.

as to your question paul, the eep makes some suggestions about either aho-corasick, or boyer-moore, so i think some profiling would be required before any implementation decision could be made; even still, we're more in api design phase at the moment, and whatever implementation is finally used, i don't think it's very relevant now.

i do like the suggestion about binary:match,i often find when i search strings i want not only the index searched, but the string that was found ->

[eep]
-Maybe binary:match(<<"hello, world\n">>,[<<"xx">>,<<" ">>])
                should return {Needle, Index} (i.e. {<<" ">>, 7}) instead?
                or perhaps {Index, NeedleLength} i.e. {7, 1}?
[/eep]

re: Unicode. perhaps it be better to have 2 seperate libraries for ascii vs. unicode?
also, how would the module handle different encodings, utf-8/utf-16/utf-32, etc?

--vat

----.signature----
Without the hope that things will get better, that our inheritors will know a world that is fuller and richer than our own,
life is pointless, and evolution is vastly overrated
 -- Delenn