[erlang-questions] LFE - Lisp Flavoured Erlang released

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Mon Mar 3 22:40:51 CET 2008

Yes Richard I remember most of this from the bad old days. :-)

What I was getting at was that there is no really no way to return a true
function pointer in the way that Scheme or CL can do. This is not a Core
problem but an Erlang implementation property. Even if doing

let MyCons = 'cons'/2 in apply MyCons(A, B)

is legal in Core as is generally using name/arity as data then unless these
are optimised away as you mentioned then a later pass in the compiler,
v3_kernel, actually converts them to a fun. In the Erlang implementation you
cannot directly reference functions as data.

I personally think that it was a Good Thing that name/arity function names
were kept in Core as it is a (mis)feature of Erlang and trying to hide this
would have led to strangeness. That is why I have kept in the distinction in
LFE and may even make it more noticeable. I am not yet decided either way.

Anyway letrec in LFE maps directly to letrec in Core, which works on
name/arity function names, so the following LFE code is perfectly legal and
works as expected:

  (letrec ((f (lambda (x) (+ x n)))
       (f (lambda (x y) (+ x (+ y n)))))
    (list (f n) (f n 10)))

Though it might be hard explaining to people that it is legal. :-) At least
until they see it as Erlang and not as lisp. I don't really want to try and
hide properties of the underlying implementation, especially when you can't
really avoid seeing them. I mean I can define functions with the same name
with different arities so I will never be able to refer to a function by
just its name.

The Core Erlang spec, together with the record definitions, were a great
help in generating code. That together with writing Erlang code and seeing
what it resulted in.

Robert