[erlang-questions] Ideas for a new Erlang

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Mon Jun 30 21:10:12 CEST 2008

2008/6/30 Sven-Olof Nystr|m <svenolof@REDACTED>:

> Since I came up with the channel concept, I've been looking for some
> convincing example of an Erlang program that could be implemented
> using selective receive, but was not possible to implement using
> channels (or where the solution with channels was more complex). When
> I saw your buffer example, I thought for a moment that it was the
> example I was looking for.

A good place to start might be the POTS control program, which was
presented in the Erlang book, and also used (in a slightly different form)
in the Introductory Erlang course.

I used it in my "Structured Network Programming" presentation to
show the consequences of different programming styles in multiway
signaling:

http://www.erlang.se/euc/05/1500Wiger.ppt

I'm not convinced that it will be sufficient to reveal significant differences
between the standard erlang style and channels, but it's a good place to
start, and the code can be expanded in a number of interesting ways.

BR,
Ulf W

(There's a working simulator to go with the program, but the OTP team
would have to give permission to release it in public. I'm sure you can
get your hands on it anyway.)