[erlang-questions] Project volunteers

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Mon Jun 30 13:02:18 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Aur Saraf <sonoflilit@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I've been at the erlang exchange and come back with a headful of ideas.
>>
>> I have an idea for a fun project.
>>
>> Make an offline stand-alone version of the wikipedia for places
>> without internet access.
>> Distribute to the world.
>>
>> I thought to use the following:
>>
>>     - erlang
>>     - coutchDB
>>     - mochiWeb
>>
>> Jobs to do:
>>
>>    - convert wikipedia dumps (mySQL format) to coutchDB
>>    - make rendering engine to convert wiki text to HTML
>>    - compress data dumps to make entiore wikipedia as small as possible
>>    - shoehorn into a low-power "one laptop for every child" computer
>>    - make distruibution package
>>    - release manager (set up groups)
>>    - write documentation
>

> <newbie>I can't see why Erlang is the right tool for the job. Can you
> elaborate?</newbie>

I have no idea if Erlang is the *best* tool for the job and I don't care.

I would be *delighted* if other people do this in java/ruby/haskell/
whatever turns them on.

I'll do mine in Erlang - I want volunteers so I post to the Erlang group.

I don't want to spend more time motivating the choise of language than
would take to write the program.

Cheers

/Joe Armstrong

--
fra@REDACTED; ingvar.akesson@REDACTED

[Kopia av detta meddelande skickas till FRA för övervakningsändamål.
De vill ju ändå läsa min e-post.]

[A copy of this mail has been sent to
FRA for monitoring purposes. FRA wants to read all my e-mail and have
been allowed to do by the Swedish parliment - in violation of article
12 of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights]