[erlang-questions] Question about message passing paradigm

Erik Reitsma erik.reitsma@REDACTED
Mon Jun 30 08:45:07 CEST 2008

What about:

4. Send a message to A, containing both the actual request for A, and a
function FA to be executed by A. This function FA will send a message to
B, containing the actual request for A, and a function FB to be executed
by B. This function FB will send a message to C, containing the actual
request for C, and a function FC to be executed by C. This function FC
will send a message to D, containing the actual request for D, and
possibly a function FD that does nothing. All the processes wait for the
answer to their messages, of course. This way, A will not process
anything (and therefore not change state), while waiting for B, which
waits for C, which waits for D. B will not change state while waiting
for C and D, and C will not change state while waiting for D. This is
like locking A, then locking B, then C, then D, then releasing D, C, B
and A.

Beware of cyclic "locks" in this approach!

*Erik.