[erlang-questions] Asterisk manager parser question

Juan Jose Comellas juanjo@REDACTED
Thu Jun 26 19:26:01 CEST 2008

I did something similar but for the FreeSWITCH mod_event_socket interface
(if you're looking into using Asterisk for anything serious, you owe
yourself to check what FreeSWITCH has to offer).

The code that handles all of this is a bit big for an email, but the code
that parses the buffer used to read from the socket is what you're probably
more interested in. If you want more help with this you can contact me
off-list.

parse_headers(Headers, Buffer) when is_list(Headers), is_binary(Buffer) ->
    parse_headers(Headers, Buffer, undefined, 0).

parse_headers(Headers, Buffer, _SepOffset, Offset) when Offset >
size(Buffer) ->
    {incomplete, Headers, Buffer};
parse_headers(Headers, Buffer, SepOffset, Offset) ->
    case Buffer of
        % Match the end of a text line.
        <<Line:Offset/binary, $\n, Tail/binary>> ->
            handle_header_line(Headers, Buffer, Line, Tail, SepOffset);
        <<Line:Offset/binary, $\r, $\n, Tail/binary>> ->
            handle_header_line(Headers, Buffer, Line, Tail, SepOffset);

        % Match the first separator between the header name and value.
        <<_Line:Offset/binary, $:, _Tail/binary>> when (SepOffset =:=
undefined) ->
            parse_headers(Headers, Buffer, Offset, Offset + 1);

        _ ->
            parse_headers(Headers, Buffer, SepOffset, Offset + 1)
    end.

handle_header_line(Headers, _Buffer, <<>>, Tail, undefined) ->
    case Headers of
        [] ->
            % Empty lines at the beginning of the header lines are not
considered errors.
            {incomplete, Headers, Tail};
        _ ->
            % An empty line after finding more than one non-empty header
means we're
            % done parsing headers.
            {ok, lists:reverse(Headers), Tail}
    end;
handle_header_line(Headers, Buffer, Line, _Tail, undefined) when size(Line)
> 0 ->
    % Return an error if the separator was not found.
    {error, Headers, Buffer};
handle_header_line(Headers, Buffer, Line, Tail, SepOffset) ->
    case Line of
        <<Name:SepOffset/binary, $:, $\s, Value/binary>> ->
            parse_headers([{Name, Value} | Headers], Tail);
        <<Name:SepOffset/binary, $:, Value/binary>> ->