[erlang-questions] Parsing binaries performance

Lev Walkin vlm@REDACTED
Wed Jun 25 18:16:01 CEST 2008

Sebastian Dehne wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm trying to write a parser in Erlang for a byte-stream (which I
> receive from the TCP socket), but I realise that my code is slow
> compared to the java version which I have. I've attached both version.

Yes, Erlang is slow doing that. Try running 30000 processes in parallel
in Java and measure the difference that way. You'll find yourself
writing into some Java mailing list asking for a way to make Java
code match Erlang performance.

Meanwhile, try using +native mode if you have HiPE enabled
on your platform. This might help a bit.