[erlang-questions] why is gen_tcp:send slow?

Johnny Billquist bqt@REDACTED
Wed Jun 25 00:00:51 CEST 2008

No. TCP don't acknowledge every packet. In fact, TCP don't acknowledge
packets as such at all. TCP is not packet based. It's just that if you
use IP as the carrier, IP itself it packet based.
TCP can in theory generate any number of packets per second. However,
the amount of unacknowledged data that can be outstanding at any time is
limited by the transmit window. Each packet carries a window size, which
is how much more data that can be accepted by the reciever. TCP can (is
allowed to) send that much data and no more.

The RTT calculations are used for figuring out how long to wait before
doing retransmissions. You also normally have a slow start transmission
algorithm which prevents the sender from even using the full window size
from the start, as a way of avoiding congestions. That is used in
combination with a backoff algorithm when retransmissions are needed to
further decrease congestions, but all of this only really comes into
effect if you start loosing data, and TCP actually needs to do
retransmissions.

Another thing you have is an algorithm called Nagle, which tries to
collect small amount of data sent into larger packets before sending it,
so that you don't flood the net with silly small packets.

One addisional detail is that receivers normally, when the receive
buffers becomes full, don't announce newly freed space immediately,
since that is normally rather small amounts, but instead wait a while,
until a larger part of the receive buffer is free, so that the sender
actually can send some full sized packets once it starts sending again.

In addition to all this, you also have a max segment size which is
negotiated between the TCP ends, which limit the size of a single IP
packet sent by the TCP protocol. This is done in order to try to avoid
packet fragmentation.

So the window size is actually a flow control mechanism, and is in
reality limiting the amount of data that can be sent. And it varies all
the time. And the number of packets that will be used for sending that
much data is determined by the MSS (Max Segment Size).

Sorry for the long text on how TCP works. :-)

	Johnny