[erlang-questions] : erl: "Can't set long node name!"

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Jun 20 01:58:35 CEST 2008

On 19 Jun 2008, at 8:20 pm, Raimo Niskanen wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:39:53PM -0400, John Chandler wrote:
>> Thanks.  I think you may be right.  I'll have to work on how to set
>> this up, because this is a Mac and the Unix networking tools only
>> *sort of* work.  In particular, "hostname" doesn't have a "--long"
>> option.

"--" is a good sign of a GNU extension.
I'm using Solaris 2.10, and hostname doesn't have _any_ options.
It's just a wrapper around gethostname(), which on some systems
gives you a long name and on some a short name.  That's why I have
my own hostname with the following options:
	hostname -a	list the Aliases
	hostname -d	give the Domain part (after 1st .)
	hostname -f	Full name (short.domain)
	hostname -s	Short name
	hostname -w	Whatever gethostname() gives you
	hostname	same as -w
I attach it in case anyone else finds it useful.