[erlang-questions] builtin regexp functions in Erlang/OTP R12B-3

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Tue Jun 17 12:22:31 CEST 2008

2008/6/17 Mats Cronqvist <mats.cronqvist@REDACTED>:

> > As noted in the EEP, some regexp libraries would have been hard or
> > impossible to make rescheduable.
> >

>   a crucial point. fwiw, i think using PCRE is a sound decision. the
> only reasonable alternative i'm aware of is the plan 9 regexp lib. did
> you look at that?
>  "Libregexp9 is a port of Plan 9's Unicode-capable regular expression
> library. It is small and simple and provides the traditional extended
> regular expressions (without modern complications like {} and various \x
> character classes). It supports Unicode via wide character or UTF-8
> encoding."
>
> http://swtch.com/plan9port/unix

Hehe, I checked that out and got an *extreme* deja vu feeling. Which is not
surprising as as that is exactly the same RE syntax as in the module regexp.
Which is also not surprising as regexp is based an AWK which is an old
application from the days before REs became so bloated. It is also very
similar to POSIX ERE.

I would seriously discuss whether we need all the other stuff. Really need
it.

Robert