[erlang-questions] is there any logging module for erlang?

attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED
Thu Jun 12 17:31:17 CEST 2008

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Dave Smith wrote:

> I think it might be worth noting that Erlang provides some powerful
> runtime tracing tools. Where in python/java/c++ I would litter my code
> with logging statements to keep track of what's happening where, I
> find myself not needing that as much, since I can simply throw a trace
> on the things I'm interested in, when/if there are problem. That's why
> (I think) erlang is so light on logging subsystems.

Logging is useful to detect errors in the first place (see the other
thread where the bug wasn't noticed until the logfiles were read).
tracing is useful if it's known that there's an error, but it's not
clear that where that error actually is.

 				Bye,NAR
--
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
  tried it."