[erlang-questions] clueless performance question

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Thu Jun 12 16:46:11 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 01:59:15PM +0200, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) wrote:
}  One really beautiful aspect of Erlang, though is the way software
}  can easily be made to "heal itself" from spurious errors. This
}  happens so quickly and unobtrusively that it can be easy to miss

Indeed.  My very first production erlang code went into service
as an embedded system.  It was a half call model system where
there was a call state finite state machine for each logical
channel.  When I got aroud to looking at the logs a few days
later I found that every call through the system had result in
a process crash.  The crash was happening during call teardown
so it wasn't noticed by anyone.  The supervisor simply started
a new gen_fsm in the idle state and the next call was handled
as normal.  I was quite impressed at the time because although
I understood the theory seeing it work in a real sense was
something else.

	-Vance