[erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP R12B-3 has been released

Torbjorn Tornkvist tobbe@REDACTED
Thu Jun 12 13:43:10 CEST 2008

Benjamin Tolputt wrote:
> Whilst this is a fantastic (and I am in no way belittling it - I am
> impressed & grateful for said changes!), I must state that there is a
> very good reason to be reluctant about native code for  Windows
> developers. Unless something has changed while I wasn't paying
> attention, Windows is still not supported for HiPE compilation/deployment.
>
> This is the biggest hurdle I have to cross whenever suggesting Erlang
> for custom development I undertake... especially now that I can show the
> performance improvements possible with SMP on our 4-core servers.

This is an interesting question, i.e how much do you really gain
from using hipe (native) compiled code?

I suspect that in (Erlang written) production systems, I/O is where most
of the time is spent. So using Hipe compiled code will not have any real
impact. If would love to be proven wrong here, so if someone has got any
figures to present...

--Tobbe