[erlang-questions] dynamic module compilation

Howard Yeh hayeah@REDACTED
Mon Jun 9 20:03:50 CEST 2008

On 6/9/08, David Mercer <dmercer@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Sunday, June 08, 2008, Howard Yeh wrote:
>  > see ERTS manual chapter 4 to see the abstract format.
>  >
>  > http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/part_frame.html
>  >
>  > there's also Core Erlang. But I am not sure where it's documented.
>

> What are the arguments for using one over the other?

I started working with Serl (the "other" Lisp front end one should not
speak of) not knowing the erlang compiler takes Core Erlang.

Reading Robert's LFE, it looks like using Core Erlang makes cleaner
code, as it's just a bunch of records. Building erlang abstract syntax
isn't very friendly.

On the other hand, erl_syntax and erl_syntax_lib are very helpful. To
do lambda lifting for letrec I just used the binding analysis included
in erl_syntax. There's also map tree, fold tree, etc in erl_syntax. I
think Core Erlang also has binding analysis included, but not the
mapping, folding stuff. And Core Erlang isn't "extensible". erl_syntax
is purportedly "extensible", but most of the functions don't work on
custom syntax types.

then again, Core Erlang has letrec, so had I used it, I wouldn't have
to get into all the hairiness that is lambda lifting. On yet another
hand, Core Erlang is pretty minimal. I think you have to do your own
list comprehension, for example.

just my 2 cents.

howard

>  DBM