[erlang-questions] [clarify] Limits and overhead of monitors

Jay Nelson jay@REDACTED
Sun Jun 8 06:15:51 CEST 2008

> Do you really mean that each process would monitor the other 99,999
> processes?  That would be 9,999,900,000 monitor relationships, so
> at the
> very least you've gotta have a lot of memory on those systems.

I got carried away as I was writing the email and added this without
thinking.
No only that, but if one process goes down I will get 99,999 messages.

I think I need to come up with a partitioning scheme or a hierarchy of
processes which have a single notifier watching them so that only one
'DOWN' message is signalled and then I can cascade it as needed.

So, I'm back to my original question of how many monitors can a single
process hold.  I'll post the results of any benchmarking I do.

jay