[erlang-questions] On selective receive (Re: eep: multiple patterns)

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Mon Jun 2 12:59:11 CEST 2008

Ulf Wiger wrote:
> I would really like to discourage people from avoiding
> selective receive because it's "expensive". It can be
> expensive on very large message queues, but this is
> a pretty rare error condition, and fairly easily observable.

  i think the "issue" of how the emu deals with huge in-queues is pretty
uninteresting.
  in my personal experience, every single time this has come up the real
problem has turned out to be lack of proper flow control (typically
using {active,true} sockets). having 100k messages in an in-queue is not
a realistic use case.
  the fact that this is not, afaik, particularly well documented is of
course a problem.

  mats