[erlang-questions] On selective receive (Re: eep: multiple patterns)

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Mon Jun 2 05:35:37 CEST 2008

Jay,

Thanks for a very detailed and informative response. Although it obviously
depends on circumstances, I feel that, given Erlang's extremely fast process
creation time and small process size, I would first consider your last
option, namely, to create an individual process per request, and use an ETS
table to coordinate responses. If there are very many responses to be
collected for each request, I would intuitively imagine in my "Erlang newbie
fog" that using an ETS table with its constant-time performance and
no-garbage-collection characteristics would be better on average than using
selective receive, which I understand has to do a linear scan and move
unprocessed messages to another area. Of course, intuition often does not
stand up to the reality of performance measurements, so it would be
interesting to see a benchmark of the various architectural options you have
described, perhaps as a function of response time vs. request rate.

Regards,
Edwin Fine