[erlang-questions] Mnesia for mobile telco billing?

xenta xenta ksiztof.laurenovic@REDACTED
Mon Jul 28 16:50:57 CEST 2008

Hello gents,

Just bumpped into Mnesia db and after studying it whole weekend I am still
in exalted state by him. Since I dont believe "silver bullets" I diecided to
ask Mnesia gurus before starting to prototype it. So what I am looking for
is suppopsed to be high performance IMDB for mobile telco billing, currently
our R&D department is considering off-the-shelf products like TimesTen,
BerkleyDB, MySQL Carrier Grade and so on. But there are also a lot of issues
even though they are comercial.

could you dedicate some time to check whether Mnesia cover my very strict
requirements:

1) The imdb is intended for storing big amout of subscriber fund items (like
balances, counters: free traffic, free sms, free minutes, friendly numbers
and etc)

2) The number of fund items may vary from 12 mln and up to 420 mln depending
on telco provider, means scaling up and scaling out features are necessary

3) Fault tolerance and high availbility level of imdb should be "five nines"
at least

4) The host OS is Windows, pls dont I ask me why so :) but this requirement
is optional and can be substituted in case imdb provide high performance
through the network

5) Locking read and respecting unlocking write requests shall be supported

6) Number of items per atomic locking read/unlocking write may vary from 1
till 20 items

7) As persistent storage supposed to use Oralce DB, where imdb will write
all of changes asynchronously, and the fund items will be loaded from
persistent storage during fisrt initialization, this req is optional though

8) And the most important requirements are the throughput of IMDb that
should be at least 3000 locking read + write requests per second and latency
of either read or write request should be not more than 10ms

Thank you,
Ksiztof