[erlang-questions] Reading, Learning, Confused

Alpár Jüttner alpar@REDACTED
Sun Jul 20 20:52:22 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 14:53 -0300, Toby Thain wrote:
> On 19-Jul-08, at 11:31 AM, Alpár Jüttner wrote:
>
> > Btw. the Erlang Reference Manual says that
> >
> >         As of Erlang 5.5/OTP R11B, short-circuit boolean
> > expressions are
> >         allowed in guards. In guards, however, evaluation is always
> >         short-circuited since guard tests are known to be free of side
> >         effects.
> >         (Section 6.14, Short-Circuit Boolean Expressions)
> >
> > Something is wrong here, isn;t it?
>

> I also did a double take on this text, but my reading of "always
> short-circuited" is "it is always safe to short circuit [since...]",
> so a (normally) non-short-circuit operator can always be short-
> circuited.

Do you mean that 'or' can always be replaced by 'orelse'? We've learnt
that it is not true.

> (Compare, e.g. C's | and ||, where | may be used deliberately for
> side-effects on the RHS.)

It is a different story. In C, '|' is the bitwise or operation, it
corresponds to 'bor' in Erlang. ('||' in C is the same as 'orelse' and
there is no C equivalent for the 'or' operator of Erlang.)

Regards,
Alpar