[erlang-questions] Fault-Tolerant TCP/IP Servers

Rick R rick.richardson@REDACTED
Wed Jul 16 16:35:03 CEST 2008

You mentioned TCP/IP, but is SCTP an option? If so, your problem is solved
automatically and (almost) instantly via SCTP's multi-homing.

2008/7/16 David Mercer <dmercer@REDACTED>:

>  I must admit, I am disappointed that there is no Erlang solution.  This
> seems like a basic building block to fault-tolerant systems.  So, I am going
> to toy with my idea of having the secondary detect the failure and send the
> appropriate commands to the network to redirect traffic for the primary
> server's IP address to the secondary.  Am thinking there must be some DHCP
> commands to reassign the IP address.  Before I begin, does anyone see any
> obvious flaws in my thinking.  I am not a networking expert.  Thanks.
>

> David

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. --
Oscar Wilde