[erlang-questions] erts inside a larger C program

jm jeffm@REDACTED
Mon Jul 14 02:56:03 CEST 2008

This is my fall back position. The trouble with this is the coordination
needed. If the GUI crashes the backend will still be running. There's
also the problem of running with sockets exposed on multi-user machine.
I suppose, just tinking aloud for a moment, the way to approach this is
to start erlang and then have erlang execute an external program as a
port and then this external program provides the GUI. Any scripts that
the GUI wishes to execute would be sent to erlang executed as a
monitored process and the results sent back to the GUI. If the GUI
crashes erlang can catch it, possible do some diagnostics, and, if
appropriate, execute a simple GUI to notify the user of the reason.

Jeff.