[erlang-questions] Kai - An Open Source Implementation of Amazon's Dynamo

Jan Lehnardt jan@REDACTED
Sun Jul 13 15:48:28 CEST 2008

> CouchDB is getting well known in Japan, especially its sophisticated
> RESTful interface.
> This is because Yohei, who supervised a translation of "RESTful Web
> Services", is intrigued with CouchDB.

Wow, this is cool :) Thanks for the info.

>> Is the interest in merging our systems mutual?
>
> This is interesting suggestion.
> We're now focusing on reliability and scalability, and keeping its
> interface simple; get(key) and put(key, value).
> But more complicated queries like CouchDB can be our future work, and
> it seems exciting.

With CouchDB we have such an easy interface, so connecting should
be trivial:

GET /database/key == get(key)
PUT /database/key
value (in the PUT request body) == put(key, value)

CouchDB also has more API calls for querying and all that,
but that could be independent of the fault tolerance layer
you provide. At least at first, to make things easier.

> Of course, you can merge our code into CouchDB freely, since Kai is
> based on Apache License 2.0.

We are not very keen on just taking some code that we'd then have
to maintain ourselves (or we are just lazy :). The truth is though, that
a database system is enough work in itself and if we could make our
systems interoperable both our teams would benefit and have less
work to do.

It'd be great if we can work together. I'll forward this mail to the
CouchDB developer list and will keep an eye on the Kai lists as
well.

Cheers
Jan