[erlang-questions] "Cast" in gen_server et al

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Sat Jul 12 00:14:33 CEST 2008

The sense that I get is that it is like "cast" in "broadcast", except that
it's not being "cast broadly", so it's just "cast". To take the metaphor
further, it works roughly like a radio signal that is broadcast: the
receiver does not reply. Just like you said :)

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:13 PM, David Lloyd <lloy0076@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi There,
>
>  From what I can tell, "cast(Name, Request)" means:
>
> "Send the message to the server with name Name with the request Request
> and return Ok.".
>
> I think one would use it to just send requests to the server if you
> didn't want to bother about receiving any response.
>
> Hence, I would assume that it's named "cast" in the sense of "cast a
> spell at" rather than in "cast a pointer to an integer"?
>
> DSL

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and
unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the
discomfort of thought.
John F. Kennedy 35th president of US 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)