[erlang-questions] Kai - An Open Source Implementation of Amazon's Dynamo

john s wolter johnswolter@REDACTED
Fri Jul 11 22:30:24 CEST 2008

Takeru,

Thanks for the Kai link, I had not seen that myself and will add that to my
links.  I have some additional links to Distributed Hash Table, DHT,
information and projects.  The pages also refer to other projects and sites.

This is Wikipedia's take on DHT for those who may not be familiar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table

OpenDHT is a publicly accessible distributed hash table (DHT) *service*.
http://opendht.org/

Bamboo is a either based on Pastry, a re-engineering of the Pastry
protocols, or an entirely new DHT
http://bamboo-dht.org/

SIPPEER: A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)-based Peer-to-Peer Internet
Telephony Client Adaptor.  More from the VoIP world.
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~kns10/publication/sip-p2p-design.pdf

The fallacies of distributed computing which should make you think.  A PDF
at the bottom of the article has much detail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies_of_Distributed_Computing

What got me going on Erlang was distributed OS's, planet scale event
monitoring systems, multi-agent software, swarms, PSO's,  non-stop
applications, the overused cloud-computing metaphor, and grids.  Whew, I
need to sit down. Wait a minute, I am sitting down.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:01 PM, ERLANG <erlangy@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi Takeru,
>
> First of all thanks for sharing this excellent piece of code.
> Is there any persistency backend to "Kai" or is it just a memory cache
> engine?
>
> cheers
> Y.
>
> Le 11 juil. 08 à 16:29, Takeru INOUE a écrit :
>
> > Dear Erlang Community,
> >
> > I'd like to tell you about a project called Kai.
> >
> > Kai is a distributed hashtable like Amazon's Dynamo.
> > Dynamo is described in its original paper, as a highly available
> > key-value storage system that some of Amazon's core services use to
> > provide an "always-on" experience.
> > Kai implements well-known memcache API, and you can access to Kai with
> > your favorite programming language.
> >
> > Kai is hosted on sourceforge.net, where detailed information is found.
> >
> >  http://kai.wiki.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Also, source code can be downloaded.
> >
> >  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=228337
> >
> > If you are interested in Kai, read Getting Started and try it.
> >
> >  http://kai.wiki.sourceforge.net/getting+started
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Takeru INOUE <takeru.inoue@REDACTED>