[erlang-questions] Fault-Tolerant TCP/IP Servers

David Mercer dmercer@REDACTED
Fri Jul 11 17:58:38 CEST 2008

Say I have a TCP/IP server (e.g., a web server, FTP server, etc.) written in
Erlang, and I want it to work through hardware failures; I need at least two
of them.  The problem is, clients are connecting to the primary's IP
address, so when it fails, client connections are refused instead of being
rerouted to the secondary.  What is the Erlang approach to solving this?

My thought is that you have the secondary detect the failure and send the
appropriate commands to the network to redirect traffic for the primary
server's IP address to the secondary.  That's my idea, but I don't really
know if this is the appropriate solution, nor how to implement something
like this in Erlang.

Please advise.  Thank-you.

David Mercer