[erlang-questions] Indias Twitter "clone" sounds built on Erlang, but is not

Rick R rick.richardson@REDACTED
Thu Jul 10 21:18:32 CEST 2008

Sounds like it was built using one of Gemstone's ubiquitous object
frameworks (easier to say than their buzzword laden description).

(kind of) described here: http://www.vimeo.com/1147409

2008/7/10 Adam Lindberg <adam@REDACTED>:

> Just read this interesting piece on Twitter vs GupShup (the de-facto micro
> blogging service in India):
>
> http://anand.typepad.com/datawocky/2008/06/indias-sms-gupshup-has-3x-the-usage-of-twitter-and-no-downtime.html
>
> From the article:
>
>> I'll let the numbers speak for themselves:
>>
>>    - * Users:* Twitter (1+ million), SMS GupShup (7 million)
>>    - *Messages per day: *Twitter (3 million); SMS GupShup (10+ million)
>>

> This passage struck me as sounding like it is built on Erlang, or at least
> Erlang principles (my emphasis):
>
>> GupShup also uses an object architecture (called the "objectpool") which
>> allows each task to be componentized and run separately - this helps
>> immensely with *reliability* (can automatically handle machine failure)
>> and *scalability* (can scale dynamically to handle increased load). The
>> objectpool model allows each module to be run as *multiple parallel
>> instances* - each of them doing a part of the work. They can be run on *different
>> machines*, can be *started/stopped independently*, without affecting each
>> other. So the "receiver", the "sender", and the "ad server" all run as
>> multiple instances. As traffic scales, they can just add more hardware -- no
>> re-architecting. If one machine fails, the instance is restarted on a
>> different machine.
>

> Sounds like a perfect fit for Erlang. Should be less lines of code too, I
> presume. Would it be faster, though?
>
> Cheers!
> Adam

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. --
Oscar Wilde