[erlang-questions] Erlang beam memory question

shehan shehan@REDACTED
Wed Jul 9 04:51:28 CEST 2008

Use etop to measure memory usage accurately. Ex:

/usr/local/lib/erlang/lib/observer-0.9.7.4/priv/bin/etop -node
<your_node_name>  -setcookie <your cookie> -tracing off -lines 30 -sort
memory

  _____

From: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED
[mailto:erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Stephen Han
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 8:36 PM
To: - Erlang Questions
Subject: [erlang-questions] Erlang beam memory question

Hi

If I do the 'top' then the beam is using

Size: 302M RSS: 302M SHARE: 1716

However, when I do the erlang:memory()

[{total,13418553},
 {processes,3778222},
 {processes_used,3386662},
 {system,9640331},
 {atom,590253},
 {atom_used,580770},
 {binary,218737},
 {code,6708906},
 {ets,834788}]

It is showing different number? Why there is such a discrepancies?

I am running Yaws on OTP r10b-9. I do see the issue once i do stress testing
using tool to generate about 500 user sessions.

regards,