[erlang-questions] Signal handling (TERM, INT etc)

Johnny Billquist bqt@REDACTED
Wed Jul 9 00:18:28 CEST 2008

Michael FIG skrev:
> Hi,
>
> ----- "Johnny Billquist" <bqt@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Tony Finch wrote:
>>> Which signal?
>> Any signal.
>> You'll have to write some other code to help figure out exactly which
>> signal occured.
>
> I think that's the point Tony was trying to make: "some other code" is simply writing the signal's number as a byte into the pipe, so that when you select and read, you can get the signal number.  That way, you can cope with a flurry of signals before they start getting lost.  If you haven't actually tried to write that "some other code", you probably don't know that it's impossible to get working reliably.
>
> That's because your idea does not solve the inherent race condition.  What if the signal arrives while the code is doing something other than select(2) (i.e. processing the results of a prior select)?
>
> See http://cr.yp.to/docs/selfpipe.html for the history of the "self-pipe trick".

I don't think this might be the place to dive into the deep end of signal
handling in Unix. (It is, after all, an Erlang list).
Suffice to say that I know of the potential problems.

	Johnny

email: bqt@REDACTED             ||  Reading murder books