[erlang-questions] Reference counting instead of GC?

Alpár Jüttner alpar@REDACTED
Fri Jul 4 00:03:44 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 17:47 +0200, Hynek Vychodil wrote:
> Message don't copy for example Termite (http://toute.ca/) and this is
> of course faster for big messages. But there is many good reasons why
> Erlang is as is.
>[...]
>I don't believe change GC is good idea except you want just try it.

I didn't want to suggest replacing GC in the mainstream erlang.
However I have a feeling that the reference counting approach has some
considerable advantages in some _special_ applications, for example
      * when an erlang(-like) system is operated on very low capacity
        hardware and/or
      * for hard real time applications.

Best regards,
Alpar