[erlang-questions] Question about message passing paradigm

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Tue Jul 1 09:06:43 CEST 2008

Hi Edwin,

I'm quite fresh around here too and I agree, someone definitely needs
to write up some common patterns for the paradigm. I also suggested a
locking solution using selective receive, but being a little tired, I
managed to post it with the wrong subject line. Twice. <sigh>

Still, it wasn't really a solution, but a discussion about the
applicability of selective receive - I can't see another way of doing
this. My concern with the approach is that there is no way for a
process to "safely lock itself" unless it can trap exists from the
process trying to "acquire the lock," as it were. If A starts
communicating with B and asks B to stay in a particular state until it
[A] is ready, then A had better broadcast it's death if anything goes
wrong so that B can "unlock itself," for want of a better description.
The more processes are involved, the more interesting that gets. My
original solution was to lock each container process against a
specific value (key) and continue to serve reads while blocking
writes. My solution doesn't however, deal with process failures very
well! Here's a quick stab:

loop(State, LockList) ->
   %% ... some interesting code...
   receive
       { SenderPid, acquire, ItemId } ->
           case get_item(ItemId, LockList) of
               { acquired, Response } -> SenderPid ! { { acquired, ok
}, Response }
             ; _ -> SenderPid ! error
           end,
           loop(State, [ ItemId | LockList ])
     ; { SenderPid, read, ItemId } ->
           SenderPid ! { { read, ok }, get_item_readonly(ItemId) },
           loop(State, LockList)
     ; { SenderPid, write, { ItemId, Value } } ->
           { acquired, Response } = get_item(ItemId, LockList),
           Write = write_item(ItemId, Value),
           SenderPid ! { { write, ok }, Write }
   end.

Obviously I've imagined some code in get_item that checks the lock
list before a successful acquire, etc. This solution is non blocking
for reads, but in the event that you try and get a write (i.e,
acquire) a locked item, the process dies with a pattern matching
failure (based on the assumption that get_item will return an 'error'
atom or something like that, on failure). This is hardly a solution,
but I wanted to look at the selective receive bit. What happens if the
process who "acquired" item X dies and doesn't notify you!? X sort of
"goes missing,", which is hardly ideal. In your example, where the
individual processes actually block until released, a fatal error in
the lock owner will deadlock the system.

You could always check the sender pid against your linked nodes and
link to it if it's not already in there. Personally, I don't like this
approach though - it all feels like a kludge. I like the idea of
changing from a pull to a push design (mentioned earlier), as this
whole locking multiple processes feels horrible. Think about a typical
(Joe forgive me) OO implementation in java or some such. The number 1
rule is don't call into some other object while holding a lock, as
you've no idea what might happen and you might end up deadlocked. This
question raises the same questions for me - do I really want these
distributed locks cropping up all over the place? If data consistency
is really that important, then maybe we should find a better way to
accumulate the data we need to perform a given operation.

As another contrived example, I can't imagine that if in the process
of say, selling broadband, you need to fist check the network
inventory, then provision an engineer and finally set up a billing
record against a customer account, that you'd want to deal with the
locking protocol in this way. Say the network inventory and engineer
availability rosters are in different parts of the system, which you
need to call via some RPC (say they're not actual Erlang nodes, but
some java application that you hit over HTTP), or maybe just in a
database or whatever. I would've thought that the safest way to do
this with pessimistic locking is surely to lock the whole provisioning
activity (e.g., upon receiving the initial call) - this might entail
exposing the provisioning process as a gen_server and performing the
locking there (this might even happen implicitly, if you use the
synchronous 'call' function instead of the async 'cast') or something
like that. This is going to have a bad effect on your liveliness,
naturally, but that's life. A course grained lock is safer, but less
lively. A lock that doesn't deal with error conditions sounds bad
though.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will chime in here and
point out the obvious to us new folk!? ......

Cheers,

Tim Watson