[erlang-questions] newbie: why c.erl is special?

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Fri Feb 29 23:59:45 CET 2008

Anthony Kong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some testing purpose, I have written some erlang code in a file c.erl.
>
> I can compile the code using erlc alright. But then whenever I start
> erl, I got these error:

> $ erl
> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe]
> [kernel-poll:false]
>
> {"init terminating in
> do_boot",{undef,[{c,erlangrc,[]},{init,eval_script,7},{init,do_boot,3}]}}
>
> Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
> init terminating in do_boot ()
>
> If I rename c.erl to something else, the problem goes away.
>
> What is special about "-module(c)" ?

As you can c below, there is already a system module named c:

Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6.2 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe]
[kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.6.2  (abort with ^G)
1> l(c).

=ERROR REPORT==== 1-Mar-2008::00:56:49 ===
Can't load module that resides in sticky dir
{error,sticky_directory}

Kostis