[erlang-questions] code dependency diagrams

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Feb 28 14:57:47 CET 2008

Vlad Dumitrescu skrev:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB)
> <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:
>>  I've mentioned on occasion that I'd like to see a visualization tool
>>  that shows an UML-style structure diagram for Erlang applications,
>>  but with annotations showing the direction and arity of the
>>  dependencies.
>
> I would like to recommend an alternative to this kind of diagram, that
> offers much better understandability: a Dependency Structure Matrix
> (DSM). An example image can be found at
> http://erlide.sourceforge.net/untitled.png

Perhaps the way to proceed is to create a library that
produces the necessary metadata for later visualization?

My experiments with DOT/SVG indicated that having the
raw data as Erlang sets is often more useful than watching
an overloaded graph.

I'd like to take a swing at using xref and syntax tools
for extracting useful metadata about applications. The
question is of course: what is useful?

My first example counted modules in application A which had
any dependency (called any function) to application B.

More suggestions are welcome.

BR,
Ulf W