[erlang-questions] Practical Erlang Programming

David Mercer dmercer@REDACTED
Fri Feb 22 00:17:00 CET 2008

I'll second Brian's view.  If you have some experience with different
programming languages, Erlang itself is just another language.  What sets it
apart is the OTP libraries that have been built to create reliable,
fault-tolerant, scalable systems.  Another book on just the Erlang
programming language would not find a place on my bookshelf.

DBM

-----Original Message-----
From: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED
[mailto:erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Brian Cully
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 17:08
To: Francesco Cesarini
Cc: Erlang
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Practical Erlang Programming

On 21-Feb-2008, at 16:50, Francesco Cesarini wrote:
> In these lines, we are very interested in hearing what others
> feel we should include in such a book.
>
> We have lots of ideas on OTP, but that in itself is a completely
> different beast we hope to tackle as soon as this book is out. So hope
> you have a bit of patience and bear with us....

	Unfortunately, what I would really like is something akin to an OTP

Illustrated. OTP is by far the hardest thing I have to wrap my head
around. Proper use of supervisor tree, best practices on function
placement, common idioms, etc.,.

	A lot of the other stuff you can pick up pretty quickly from the man

pages an existing sources, but for some reason I have a hard time
getting very far into OTP.

	My biggest problems all tend to revolve around optimal use of those

libraries and understanding the culture they promulgated.

-bjc