[erlang-questions] Documentation build process: creating DocBook XML?

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Fri Feb 15 13:41:30 CET 2008

Dmitrii 'Mamut' Dimandt writes:

 > The number one advantage is ease of use and search engine optimization:
 > http://www.p16blog.com/p16/2008/02/erlang-document.html

One problem with the Erlang documentation which was fixed recently (R12)
was that the path to each manpage changed often, i.e. in one release
it was

  www.erlang.org/doc/man/lib/stdlib-1.14.4/doc/html/lists.html

and in another it was

  www.erlang.org/doc/man/lib/stdlib-1.14.3/doc/html/lists.html

which is a pretty good way to stop anyone sane from linking to the
documentation. That probably also did wonders for ranking, and it'll
take while for the effect to wear off.

 > It would be oh so nice to be able to just type in, say,
 > http://erlang.org/doc/io:format or http://erlang.org/doc/io/format or
 > http://erlang.org/doc/format and get the function

I have a shell script which does this:

  ~ >eman io fwr
  showing file:///usr/local/src/otp_doc_R11B-4/lib/stdlib-1.14.4/doc/html/io.html#fwrite/1

(it pops up the page in the currently running browser). As far as I
know, I'm the only user. The web version doesn't get much traffic
either.

---

Looking at the "user comments" on the PHP site pretty much put me off
any ideas about having "user comments". What a collection of flotsam
and jetsam!

Matthias