[erlang-questions] Erlang has handed in Italy

Corrado Santoro csanto@REDACTED
Sun Feb 3 17:09:18 CET 2008

Jilani Khaldi ha scritto:
> Where can I find information about all this? In your personal (english)
> site I can't find anything new about Erlang since 2004. In the italian
> site of the Engineering Faculty (Dipartimento di Ingegneria Informatica
> e delle Telecominicazioni) there is nothing mensioning Erlang or any
> other technologies. Secret italian (catanesi) weapons? Let us know, please.
Wel... no secret weapons at all! Only absence of proper advertising...
UniCT is not so good in publishing research info :-)

Anyway... here are some pointers, if you want to discuss some (or all)
of them, please contact me privately.

All the best,
--Corrado

1. Robotics
===========
Erlang has been used by our team to program a robot in two edition of
the "Eurobot" competition (2006 and 2007). See
http://eurobot.diit.unict.it. We'll repeat the experience this year. In
2006 and 2007, I made two presentations about such a project at Erlang
Traning & Consulting, London (slides available on request). On such a
topic, two papers have been presented at EUC'06 and Erlang Workshop 2007.

2. Robotics and 3D
==================
Recently, we started a project for the realisation of a 3D robotic
simlation engine. Check http://rosen.sourceforge.net/.

3. Hard real-time Erlang
========================
Enzo Nicosia, at Erlang Workshop 2007, presented a paper on how to
excute hard-real-time computations using Erlang.

4. AI
=====
The ERESYE tool, http://sourceforge.net/projects/eresye/, has been
developed together with Francesca Gangemi; it allows programmers to
design and implement inference systems in Erlang. A paper has been
published at Erlang Workshop 2005. See also
http://www.trapexit.org/Artificial_Intelligence_with_Erlang:_the_Domain_of_Relatives.

5. Multi-Agent Systems
======================
eXAT (http://www.diit.unict.it/users/csanto/exat) is a tool for the
implementation of multi-agent systems in Erlang. It is FIPA compliant
and integrates ERESYE for agent reasoning. Several papers have been
published.

6. Grid Systems
===============
Erlang has been used to develop a simulator of a P2P Grid system. The
aim was to test a novel resource finding algorithm based on "potential
field navigation". See:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/search/allsearch?mode=viewselected&product=journal&ID=113392830&view_selected.x=107&view_selected.y=19&view_selected=view_selected

7. P2P Systems
Erlang has been recently used to develop a simulator of a novel
algorithm to build locality-based overlay networks. Such a simulator is
being used to generate overlay networks to test a QoS-aware MPEG
transmission protocol.

---- END OF LIST ----